Aarey Milk Colony - Mumbai's Green Lung

The Aarey Milk Colony is a large forested area in the heart of Mumbai city. Approximately 16 square kilometers in area, it is flanked by the Western Express highway on the west and Eastern Express Highway on the east. It is surrounded by Andheri East to the south, Goregaon East to the West and Borivali East to the North.

It was established in 1949 and officially inaugurated by the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in 1951. Aarey Milk Colony includes 12 villages – Sai, Gundgav, Film City, Royal Palms, Dindoshi (Eksar Pahad), Aarey, Pahadi Goregaon, Vyraval, Kondivita, Maroshi (Marol), Parjapur and Paspoli. In 1977, 200 hectares of land was carved out from Aarey village to establish Film City.

This Garden of Eden has been earmarked by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) and the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC) for constructing a metro car shed over an area of 28 hectares. This will lead to uprooting of 2,298 trees. According to MMRDA, 2,044 of these trees could be transplanted, but the rest of the 254 trees would have to be cut down.

This is a wordless tribute to this beautiful paradise within our city. Please support the retention of this green lung of our city!

For more information, visit Save Aarey

Aarey 205

Aarey 251

Aarey 241

Aarey 231

Aarey 229

Aarey 228

Aarey 227

Aarey 217

Aarey 210

Aarey 207

Aarey 206

ashutosh

Adventurer, cyclist, musician, mathematician, data architect